Comcast NBCUniversal’s Enduring Service to the Veteran & Military Community
This year’s Veterans Day marks 100 years of our Nation officially honoring those who served to defend our country. We’re also recognizing Veterans and Military Families Month because service extends beyond those who wore a uniform. From all of us at Comcast NBCUniversal, we want to thank and honor all of you for living a life of service.
As a leader in media and technology, Comcast NBCUniversal is looking to the future in how we engage with and serve the military community. In 2019, we focused on three core areas – connectivity, advocacy, and special offers.
Last year, we announced a major expansion of our Internet Essentials program to include more than one million low-income veterans who live in our service area. Internet Essentials is the nation’s largest, most comprehensive, and most successful effort to close the digital divide for low-income households.
To build on our efforts to help connect veterans to vital online resources, in 2019 we opened two more Internet Essentials “Digital Rally Points,” or computer labs, in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. This brings the total number of computer labs to more than a dozen with more scheduled to open next year. These Digital Rally Points have been strategically located at local, veteran-serving organizations. At each one, veterans can use computers and participate in free Internet training programs to learn skills like how to search and apply for jobs, take online classes that will make them more employable, and take full advantage of their well-deserved veteran benefits.
We continue to advocate for the military community in a variety of ways:
- We remain committed to our goal to hire 21,000 veterans, military spouses, and National Guard and Reserve members between 2015 and 2021.
- We continuously evaluate what we’re doing to support our employees. This video spotlights Tom Baker, from our Houston team. He’s a reminder of the talent, dedication, and passion our military community employees give to our company.
- The Philadelphia Flyers, which is owned by Comcast, wanted a way for our local veterans to engage in the game they love. This year, the Flyers, in partnership with the NHL, funded the creation of the Philadelphia Flyers Warriors hockey team, which is made up exclusively of veterans. The team even went on to win the 2019 USA Hockey Warrior Classic tournament!
- We expanded our partnerships to empower employers to engage with the military community. In partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management Foundation, the Veterans at Work Certificate was released.
- We assisted in expanding the PsychArmor Institute’s Courses for Employers Who Invest In Military Talent. These free, online courses deliver knowledge and tools to assist organizations in creating an inclusive and supportive environment for military and veteran employees.
- Lastly, we deepened our relationship with the Elizabeth Dole Foundation and participated in the Hidden Heroes mission of raising awareness and support for military caregivers, including employment initiatives.
2019 was the first full year that veterans and actively serving military customers could receive our special Military Appreciation offer. When these customers sign up for any Xfinity service including: Xfinity Internet, Xfinity TV, Xfinity Home, Xfinity Voice, or Xfinity Mobile, and verify their military status, they’ll receive a $25 Xfinity coupon and if on a term agreement may be eligible to receive a $100 Visa® prepaid card. The offer is also available for existing customers. In addition, our Universal Theme Parks continue to offer special packages to military community members. Their service matters, and this is one way for us to say thank you.
Our motivation is the belief that Service Matters – Service to Country, Service to Customers, Service to Communities. As Veterans Day approaches, we invite you to join Comcast NBCUniversal in paying tribute to those who committed themselves to a life of service.